Augmentation mammoplasty is a surgical operation performed to enlarge the female breasts for a number of reasons:
- To enhance the body contour of a woman, who for personal reasons feels that her breast size is too small.
- To correct a loss in breast volume after pregnancy.
- To balance breast size, when there exists a significant difference between the size of the breasts.
- To restore breast shape after partial or total loss of the breasts from various conditions.
- To correct a failure of breast development due to a severe breast abnormality.
- To correct or improve results of existing breast implants for cosmetic or reconstructive reasons.